I can show you how.
It’s easy. It’s rewarding. And like making food from the scratchiest scratch, there’s a sense of satisfaction that you’ve been in on the processes of your life. Sure, it takes longer. But you know why our grandmothers were thinner? They lacked convenience. Doing as much as possible by hand makes you skinny. Or at least that’s what I tell myself when I’m kneading bread instead of buying it or sweeping and beating rugs instead of using the vacuum for the daily bizness. And it makes things less noisy. But back to knitting.
Knitting can be a complete sheep to sweater process if you want it to be. Or you can pick up some yarn and by some controlled "tangling" (what my son used to call it), make something useful. If you are someone who loves process as much as end product, knitting is awesome.
Part 1: Before you get started read this.
Two needles. Two basic types of stitches. Two hands. Knitting is full of binary.
There are two tools you need (besides yarn) to knit: needles and scissors. There are all kinds of gadgets and things that you will want, but these things are the only real essentials. Other things I'd recommend having: a tape measure (retractable), point protectors (to keep work on the needle when not in use. I like to reuse wine corks for this), a stitch/row counter (find one that locks if you can, such as the Mini Kacha-Kacha by Clover), a medium to smallish crochet hook (for picking up dropped stitches and edge work), a blunt tipped yarn needle (for weaving in ends when you're done), and if you are persnickety about making sure you have the right size needle for the job (you should be) a needle gauge. And a small bag or box or basket to keep it all in. One that closes if you have curious kids and/or pets. Like I said, there are many other things that you might want. You may feel that you need them, but really it's just want. Nothing wrong with that. But be aware. People are trying to sell you things. Stitch markers, for example. You don't need that little plastic/metal/whatever ring. All you need is a loop of contrasting waste yarn, which you'll eventually have so much of your head will spin.
Most of the knitters I know are sharers. You can find free patterns, tips and general information of all kinds online. Later on I'll link you up.
A note about needles: I really like wooden needles. They feel organic, and they don't make my teeth hurt when the finish wears off like the metal ones. Downside to wood: they break easily. Plastic needles are okay. They have nice flex and they are super smooth. Because they're plastic, I buy used or vintage. You can get some really cool bakelite ones at flea markets or thrift stores sometimes. But what needle you like is really a matter of personal preference. Try some out. See what you like.
There are two things that I wish I'd known when I started knitting. Always buy the best quality yarn you can afford (or if you're really ambitious, spin it yourself), and use the right fiber for the job. This means checking your gauge before you start (swatches are torture. But they're worth it). It means knowing what your project will be used for (I don't recommend using wool to wash dishes, unless you wanted a felt dishcloth), in what climate or season, and by what kind of person if it's not for yourself (Are they allergic to wool? Do they hate purple?). It means understanding yarn basics like the Yarn Council of America's standard sizing system. This is a helpful site for understanding what the stuff on your yarn label means: http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/label.html Universal care instructions and other useful things to know are also included.
That's about it.
Next: Actually knit something.
No comments:
Post a Comment